My friend and co-worker, Kaylee, suggested that I try this outlet to talk about my feelings and opinions on my love of music, so here we go...

The movie "Grease" was my introduction to music in movies and I thought it was awesome!  Then I started high school and everyone seemed to know the music that played on the radio...and I didn't.  So, I asked my mom for a radio to put in my bedroom.  Instead, I was given a record player, which I thought was really cool!  I didn't have any friends that had a record player in their bedrooms.  

I listened to my mom's albums - Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Simon & Garfunkel, John Denver, The Beatles, etc.  Certainly not the music that played on the radio when I was 13.  Around that time, my step-dad took a music appreciation class and started listening to and dissecting the music of Bach, Mozart, and Rachmaninoff - and while he was at work, I listened too. 

The first albumn that I bought was AC/DC's "Back in Black".  I listened to it over and over. I loved the drums. They were hypnotizing.  This was long before the internet was available to the masses, so I didn't know much about the band members.

In my senior year of high school I saw Loverboy, John Mellencamp, and The Who in concert at the then Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego with my high school sweetheart, Joel,  Joel also introduced me to what was considered then as punk music; Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, The Clash, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Bow Wow Wow, Madness, Adam Ant, The B52s.  I was hooked!

There used to be a show that came on after school called "Video Jukebox" which was the precursor to MTv and VH1.  I watched it everyday and saw videos by The Dickies, ABC, The Closh, The Eurithmics and others.  It was the first glimpse of what the band looked like without having to go to a concert.  

I love music from all generations.  I usually say that I like everything except polka...and really, who likes polka???  I discovered that I love the drums and really appreciate music with non-traditional instruments or sounds.  (Traditional being guitars, keyboards, drums, etc.)  

I will write more about that another time.  Thank you for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 Drummers of all Time - In My Opinion